Friday, June 28, 2013

Helping in a small way--the little flute that could.

The Little Flute That Could

My middle room closet is a sucking black hole where once-loved stuff collects--a mini horde of nice things wishing for a useful place in the world. Last week, one of those things raced to its new home, via the nice folks at UPS.

Should've known when I wiggled the case from the top shelf and both cats hid beneath the bed. My experiment with becoming a flute master--years past now--had been ill-advised. Yes, I managed the middle-tone notes, even some of those one octave down. But when I screeched out the high tones, the tectonic plates shifted, the Monarch butterflies changed course, and the animals headed for cover. Plus, I nearly passed out with the effort. Best, I stick with the guitar.

So there she rested in her blue velvet enclave, wishing she could meet someone, anyone, who might be able to produce silken sounds. Not me, clearly. Then I read a Facebook post from my friend Paula Kiger, about how she donated her flute to a band in Moore, Oklahoma. The devastating tornadoes took a huge toil there--lives, property, schools. Like so many folks, I watched the television coverage, wishing I could somehow help. Some small way...

Paula put me in touch with a gracious teacher who is spearheading the band instrument drive. A company there takes the donated instruments, gives them a tune-up, and a student that might not have a chance otherwise is provided with the means to make music. I love that!

For a few dollars, the people at UPS secured, wrapped, and handled my little flute. I tracked her progress across the country, and Angie sent me a Facebook message when she made it to Oklahoma.

"Guess what came in the mail today??!?!!" Angie messaged, "A very special flute! And a really
nice card. Thank you so very much. It plays very well!"


How many folks like me have perfectly good band instruments idling in their closets? The kids that once loved them, maybe even tormented the family while learning to play, are long gone to college and other lives. What if those instruments could make their way into the hands of deserving students? And all it cost was a few bucks to UPS...

If you would like to contact Angie, she prefers to be reached  via email: angietaylor@mooreschools.com.

Tell her Rhett DeVane sent you. Then mail off your flute, horn, whatever...and wait for that warm glow to start--you know, the one that cranks up when good flows from one person to the next. 

We're all in this together. Please share this with your friends!

Peace to the Little Flute That Could. 

Rhett

1 comment:

paulakiger said...

Dang, Rhett, I would love this for the writing alone! It has been a happy-making thing to share this experience of knowing kids in Moore are going to have the opportunity to make music. I know my flute was pretty bored after 20 years languishing in the closet. Kudos to you!!!!